Yesterday was Friday.
After morning lecture and post-take rounds, there were regular
rounds. Wards are broken up into male
and female, and each ward is just a big open room with beds on each side of the
room. One side is called road (closest
to the road) and the other river (closest to the river). I was on river side, and the most exciting
part of rounds was a physical exam finding I had never experienced. While writing in the chart, Amir asked me to
listen to a patient’s heart sounds as he wasn’t sure what he heard. I put my stethoscope on her chest and I
heard, “squeak squeak squeak”. I kind of half smiled to Amir and then after
enjoying the three different sounds kind of like bare feet walking in the sand,
I told Amir it was a pericardial friction rub.
Cool! That means there is
something in the sack around the heart, and when the heart beats it rubs
against that substance and makes a squeaking sound. New physical exam findings make me feel a
little weird, because I first get really excited about it and then sad because
it generally means something bad for the patient to me to hear/see/feel
something new. This patient has HIV and
lumps on her belly, for which a biopsy was concerning for lymphoma. So it may be cancer cells causing that
squeaking in her heart.
After rounds we had a quick lunch, and then I walked back up
to the wards to do an optional make-shift chest X-ray talk with the medical students. I got there right on time, and to my surprise
the room was packed – despite everyone usually being late on “Uganda
time”. Fortunately I have saved some
interesting chest X-rays throughout residency and put them in a PowerPoint
file. I had all the students gather
round my laptop while I went through the methods of interpreting normal chest
x-rays, then had them interpret abnormal ones for me. They did so well! AND no one fell asleep after an hour in a
stuffy room! That was probably the best
compliment of all.
After that lecture it was time to head home with a giant box
of files to pour over for my research project.
I have two projects going on currently, so let’s just call this project
#1. Last year when I was here, Amir and
I co-wrote up this project with the help of my research mentor, Chris. Here’s the basic premise: lots of people come
to this hospital very sick with sepsis (infection). The % of people who die within 30-days of
their hospitalization for sepsis is about 60%, based off my research project
#2. There are very limited resources as
you can imagine, and sometimes it’s hard to tell if you’ve treated someone well
enough as you can’t necessarily re-check labs or even take vital signs very frequently. So we have a hand-held machine that checks
something called lactic acid. This is
made when your tissues don’t get enough blood flow/oxygen, which happens in
sepsis. We are trying to see if patients
who decrease their lactic acid concentration in 6 hours go on to have lower
mortality rates. If so, the theory would
be that once someone’s lactate decreases then you know it’s safe to send them
from the emergency room (closer monitoring) to the regular ward (basically no
monitoring).
Today I woke up, and after mopping up the flood in my apartment
from last night’s rain, I started going through the 120 files of patients that
have already been enrolled in the study.
At this point I am checking the already entered data for accuracy. As I go through it’s almost like a book or
movie, that I see how old the patient is, where they’re from, etc. Then what their complaints are, what their
vitals and labs are, and then I start to get nervous because as I flip the next
page I find out whether they died or not.
The amount that die is shocking. Just
as I was starting to get a little depressed, Amir called me that there was a
patient who was willing to be enrolled in our study at the hospital. So I ran across the street and worked with
Amir to enroll her and then ship her over to the emergency ward. I’ll be back in 6 hours to see what that
follow-up lactic acid is. It’s kind of a
neat process!
After that I decided to go for a little jog. It was tough!
It’s really humid with the rainy season and there are a lot of hills
around. I’d also like to blame altitude
but I’m not sure Mbarara is really much higher than C’ville. After cooling off and showering I’m back to
my files now, and then planning on making some swiss chard I bought from a guy
named John on a motorcycle!! Pretty
excited about that.
I always enjoy reading your blog and your experiences. We miss you at USA!
ReplyDelete