Sunday, March 15, 2015

A long winter's post

Today was a really nice spring day!  I was lucky enough to get off work early, and when I came home Winston and I went on a 4-mile jog.  We ran into one of my attendings, which is always good when you’re sweaty and beet-red.  But we also ran into dozens more people using the trail we were on: walking, running, biking.  There’s always a sizzle in the air during spring in C’ville – you can feel how much people have been itching to get outside for the past few months.  I’m going to miss this place!

It’s been a cold, and somewhat stressful/busy, winter.  I really shouldn’t complain about the stress too much because a lot of great things have happened too!  Here’s a quick life update for you:

1.     1.    Stuart is loving his job, and he’s been busy traveling all over the place for it!  He just got back from Houston this week in time to run a half-marathon.  Before that he was in El Salvador, though for a mission trip digging water wells rather than for work.  But his “gas skills” as I call them definitely assisted him in that work!  He’ll be off to Colorado in another couple of weeks, followed by Savannah.  I’m pretty proud of him!

2.      2.   I’m packing my big suitcase, because I’m leaving for Uganda next Monday!  I hesitate to speak too soon, since you likely know that the last trip in September was thwarted by terrorists in the nation’s capital of Kampala.  Good Lord willing, the news will stay quiet and I will be flying out of DC Monday evening.  I’ll be there for a month, working in the hospital as well as being a busy bee with two research projects.  I will also plan on eating avocados and passion fruit until I explode.

3.      3.   I GOT A JOB!  Probably the most exciting news of all!  I also didn’t want to “speak too soon” about this until everything was written in stone, but since I’ve signed a contract and gotten an email with future vacation requests, I figure it’s safe!  I will be at Georgetown University Hospital in DC and technically have two official titles.  One is “assistant professor of internal medicine”, which means I get to teach medical students and residents (!!!) and the other is “hospitalist” meaning I will only work on the hospital wards and never in the clinic.  God’s sovereignty is apparent yet again in our lives with this job.  I’ve changed my mind a few times along the way about career plans, but ultimately decided that (1) I love being in the hospital with very sick patients, and (2) I love teaching and “coaching” medical students and residents into becoming better doctors.  This will let me fulfill both of those passions, and I’ll get paid at the same time!  Can’t complain about that.  My father-in-law just alerted me to the fact that my current and future employer are in March Madness.  Too bad I’m not a basketball fan …

4.       4.  We were going to buy a house … but then we didn’t.  After my job was semi-official we started looking for houses.  “Being ready to be settled” is an understatement, and Stuart and I kept busy scouring the market for the perfect house to re-start living together in.  Unfortunately the DC real estate market is … well … kind of insane.  We quickly found out what bidding wars were, and once our “perfect house” went for 100K over asking price?  Well, we decided to rent for a while. 
5.     
5        5.   I’ve been baking a lot of pies.  Not sure why, but I got on a kick to make the perfect pie crust.  I still haven’t succeeded, but my colleagues have gained a lot of weight!


Until next time … I’ll probably be blogging from Uganda!

No comments:

Post a Comment