Thursday, September 19, 2013

War Eagle!

This past weekend marked the inter-marriage rival of Auburn vs Mississippi State.  Originally I had asked for a weekend off so that I could go to Stuart's high school reunion.  Oddly enough, the reunion wound up getting canceled and I still had the weekend off.  How fortuitous we see that MSU and AU were playing in The Plains that weekend!?  So off we went, and joined up with Stuart's family there.

Of course, like any good past COSAM Leader would, I gave them a tour around campus, noting such exciting history like the name changes of the university, George Petrie's affiliation with UVA, and our involvement in the Civil War.  I have to say I think they enjoyed themselves!  The tour neared it's end at Toomer's Corner.  Let me tell you, folks, the sight of the Corner without the oak trees made me a bit sick to my stomach.  But it's still a beautiful place, and there's still excellent lemonade across the street.  So of course, we stopped in.

A bare Toomer's Corner

House divided. Please note the AU button, one of my favorite Gameday traditions.  This week's quote: The dog days are over.

The Saulters in front of Toomer's Corner

We all know how the game turned out.  This is Stuart getting his cheer on for the better team early  =)  Miley Cyrus would have been impressed.


These little bulldogs loved some Toomer's Lemonade!!!



After the tour we decided to stop into the new Student Union for some snacks for the kids and a little football-watching.

Reid and VK just loved the Eagle!  They wanted to touch it and take pictures of it.  Good taste!

Guess these boys got worn out by the Alabama heat

We got to watch the first few minutes of the Alabama v Texas AM game.  There were groups of Auburn-turned-Aggie fans all around cheering for Johnny Football.
After watching some of the game, we walked over to the COSAM (College of Science and Math) tailgate.  We got to eat some delicious food, and I got to re-connect with a few of my fellow Leaders as well as Dr Wit!


After visiting it was time to head into the stadium!  We had GREAT seats in Auburn territory (last time I had to sit in MSU territory and was pretty upset).  Fortunately the MSU boys were surrounded by friendly Auburn fans so nothing got ugly.  We were all well-behaved ... though I must say I felt a little bad when we would score and I would jump around screaming while Stuart was sad. But that didn't last too long  =)  Here's some pictures from the game.




extra point after the game winning touchdown

No comments:

Post a Comment