Monday, December 12, 2011

Delightfully Tacky

It is our greatest pleasure every Christmas season, for the last three years at least, to host a tacky party.  It's a great excuse to (1) see friends, (2) not be fancy and (3) eat deliciously gross things that we would never eat any other time of year.  We've done our best to let the tackiness bring both Stuart's work friends and my school friends together, and I think we succeeded!  This year was our best turnout ever!
The clan - barely fitting in the camera!
Stuart and I prepared for the occasion by tacky-ing up our house.  This was best achieved with garland from the dollar tree.  I was a bit concerned our neighbors might send in a complaint to the condo association, but fortunately they did not.  The only thing that could have made the night perfect was to have somehow obtained a giant yard inflatable for our front porch.  Maybe next year!
Notice the multicolored strands, all made complete with a giant stocking on the door

Coincidence our tacky garland is Bammer colors?  I think not!

Winston even joined in the fun!
And as always, there is tacky food.  What is tacky food, you might ask?  Well it could be any number of things.  Our definition is foods that you might never eat in public, but secretly think are delicious.  Like ... things you could get at a Southern church pot-luck (cheese balls anyone?).  Or bagel bites.  Or easy cheese and pizza rolls.  Not necessarily together.  And of course, being the hosts, we tackily asked everyone to bring their own food, and we served it on a vinyl tablecloth and ate on mismatched Christmas plates.  Or just with hands.
Club crackers with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon and sprinkled with brown sugar.  I probably ate 12.


Chocolate covered bacon, by yours truly

Also pictured are a cheese ball, Little Debbie cakes, pizza dip, cocktail wieners, and crustless chicken salad sandwich triangles

However the ultimate tacky food, and I think probably the reason most people come, is fried desserts.  When Stuart and I got married, the only appliances he owned were: a built-in microwave, a sandwich maker, and a deep fryer.  I was originally appalled because he did not want to get rid of the fryer.  Well, I always believe in making the best of a bad situation, so we turned it into a reason to have a party!  Over the years we have fried everything from twinkies to Little Debbies.  This year's saturated fatty treats were fried oreos, fried Milano cookies, fried cookie dough (my personal favorite) and fried Kool-Aid.  The latter turned out to be interesting, but unfortunately not the favorite of the night.
Stu hard at work 
And to end the night, a good game of Dirty Santa!  It was a great game with a perfect mix of good and weird presents.  Best of all, there was a lot of laughing!  I have to say Stu and I cashed in with 3 good DVD's; others unfortunately left with drug-rep notepads.
Cody opened, and had stolen, I think a total of 3 Starbucks cards.  Bless his heart.

My favorite gift: a half-dead Beta fish
And finally for your tacky delight, some more random pictures to end on.  Enjoy!

Travis, Caleb and Cody

Me and William.  Hard to tell but that's a green velvet miniskirt!  William is more crafty and made his outfit.

Liz and Winston

Med School gals

Stu, so proud of his work!  And his musical tie!

Marshal, testing a fried oreo while wearing his mother's sweater

Liz and Britni

Caleb and Cody perplexed by the deliciousness of the cream cheese-cracker-bacon concoctions

Jaron and Allie in their matching denim shirts!

Britni and Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment