After our evening game drive I took a hot shower (while
standing! Yes!!) and went to bed. We started the next morning with an early
breakfast overlooking dawn in the Great Rift Valley. I had a feast fit for a king with porridge, a
poached egg with toast to sop it up, and a platter of fresh fruit. The cherry on top, though, was the thermos of
piping hot black coffee I requested the night before. I can’t remember if I’ve talked about this
yet, but Ugandans seem to not like bitter things. Ugandan coffee is about 1/5 a cup of coffee
mixed with 4/5 cup of hot milk, with at least two teaspoons of sugar. Tea is done the same way. I’ve tried multiple times to like them but
can’t convince myself … kind of like goat meat.
Anyway, after breakfast our driver Charles took us out to
the park for 4 hours of “game hunting”.
I had my head hanging out the roof most of the time and consequently got
a bit of a tan, which is exciting after the Virginia winter. We spotted kobs, bush bucks, buffalo,
elephants, and finally a LION! As we
pulled up we noticed the kobs (lion food) seemed a bit skiddish. We slowly drove around looking for predators,
and Charles with his keen eyes spotted a male lion sleeping in a cactus
tree! We offroaded a bit and pulled up
within 20 feet of the lion in the tree!!!
It was sleeping soundly (somehow) curled up in the branches of a
cactus. It never woke up the whole time
we were there, but did super cute things like scratch its nose and rub its face
against a branch. I really wanted to pet
it, but withheld.
After watching the lion for a while, all that coffee set
in. Unfortunately we were in the middle
of nowhere and there could be a lion behind every bush! Fortuitously we “happened upon” a little
shack in the middle of the park that (1) just so happened to have a bathroom
and (2) just so happened to have a lot of souvenirs. I’m sure the driver found it on purpose, but
regardless we really had to go. And when
you really have to go, you use whatever bathroom is around – even a pit
latrine. I had visions of past bad
memories of a trip to Gatlinburg with my family when I tried to use a
port-a-pot and wasps flew out of the seat.
A similar thing happened here, but I latched the door shut and just went
with it. Everything turned out ok! Then we were super grateful to the ladies who
owned the place and had to buy an item or two from them (Reid and VK – you have
a present coming)!
After the latrine and some more game watching, it was time
for lunch. We drove quite a way across
the park to Lake Edward, and enjoyed a very fancy lunch at a very fancy lodge
that we very much could not afford to stay at.
It was full of muzungus (while I’m proud to say our lodge had some
Ugandans staying there) and had many leather bound books and smelled of rich
mahogany. I had an awesome tilapia
(whole, with eyes and everything) and we cooled off a while before heading down
to the lake for a boat tour. The tour
was led by a guy named Daniel who was encyclopedic in his knowledge of the
mammals and birds lining the shore.
Afterward we headed back to the lodge and watched the sunset over the
valley before enjoying our dinner with Charles.
 |
| Sunset off our porch overlooking the Rift Valley |
 |
| A "stubborn elephant" in the words of our guide Charles. He kept crossing the road back and forth and wouldn't let us pass! |
 |
| Baboon and baby |
 |
| LION!!!!!!!!! |
 |
| My whole tilapia is under all those tomatoes |
 |
| Hippo yawn |
No comments:
Post a Comment