Saturday, March 5, 2011

Rainy Day Blues Cobbler

I'm sure I've mentioned a few times by now that my absolute favorite cookbook is Screen Doors and Sweet Tea.  It was serendipitously given to me by Stuart's sister Sally after we got engaged.  Martha Foose, the author, shares hundreds of recipes she gathered while growing up in the Mississippi Delta.  Each recipe has a story.  One of my favorites goes with the "Committment Caramel Cake" which is fixed when you're committing someone to a marriage, the church, or the ground.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I made the Silent Shade Cobbler from this book for our small group and all but one serving was gone within 20 minutes.  Today I made it for the second time.  The occasion was my mom's 60th birthday!!!  She and Dad came down to the Bay to visit for her birthday and I decided to make this for her birthday dessert!  As an aside I must say that (1) my mom is awesome and (2) I hope I look as good as she does when I'm 60!  You can barely find a wrinkle or gray hair on her!

Our two moms!  Mine on the left and Stu's on the right!
Anyway, back to the dessert.  I tweaked the recipe a bit this time and I'm calling it Rainy Day Blues Cobbler.  We were planning on going to a Mardi Gras parade tonight but it rained all day long.  So what better to do on a rainy day than cook!!!


I believe that you would love to eat this as much as we did, so I'm sharing my tweaked version of the recipe.  If you try it let me know - I'd be interested to know what you think!  Leave a comment or email me at kaciesaulters{at}gmail{dot}com!

Rainy Day Blues Cobbler, adapted from Screen Doors and Sweet Tea


"Filling" ingredients: 
2 pints blueberries
4 plums, diced
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice


Crust ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp baking powder (or 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp cream of tartar, if you dont have the powder!)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg (I believe this is the most important ingredient, don't skimp!)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
5 Tbsp butter, melted


To glaze the top:
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup boiling water (in a separate container)

Preheat the oven to 350.

Take the filling ingredients and put them in a greased 9x13 pan.  Toss to make sure the lemon juice is evenly distributed.
Second, mix the crust ingredients together.  Pour this on top of the fruit and spread it evenly.


Now, the next step may freak you out.  It did me the first time.  Mix the dry ingredients for the 'glaze' together and sprinkle them evenly over the cobbler.  You will have guilty thoughts about the calorie content of this dessert.  Just go with it.  Next take the boiling water and pour it (gently!!) over the top.  This also will seem strange.  Embrace it.  After the water is on, take the handle end of a wooden spoon and poke a few holes in it.  Now, into the oven!

Bake for about 45 minutes or until the crust is gorgeous.


Finally, eat.  Then go work out tomorrow.  Happy birthday, Mom!
Poor picture taking on my part.  The cobbler melted the candles and we had to act fast!




2 comments:

  1. mmm... I love blueberry ANYTHING. I will have to try this next. Thanks Betty Crocker ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww. i love your parents! i hope that they had fun. cobbler is one of my favs! just wait until peaches are in season. there's nothing like a fresh peach cobbler. :)

    ReplyDelete