Saturday, March 26, 2011

28th Amendment

Well folks, today I swallowed my pride.  I was ladled out some chili, as well as a serving of humility as I cooked for Stuart's Young Republican team at the 3rd Annual Gumbo/Chili Showdown for the medical school.  I was on the GCS committee for 2 years and decided to take a break from it this year.  However I encouraged Stu and his Repub pals to form a team.  Well as luck would have it, they turned out to be in need of a chef and I was the first on Stuart's lists of recruits.  And since I love him, I couldn't say no!

It all started with a 10 lb bag of onions, 8 heads of garlic, and 20 pounds of beef.  Stuart and I slaved in the kitchen for three hours last night making sure our meat was cooked and seasoned to perfection.
The infamous Dansko clogs had to come out for this one.  Cute, I know.

Onion and garlic aftermath

Today it was on to the cookoff!  We arrived at 7am to start cooking our recipe entitled: The 28th Amendment.  There were 30 teams (20 with chili and 10 with gumbo) and the competition was fierce!  We didn't wind up taking home the best chili award, but I have to say we made a darn good chili to (1) have never tried the recipe and (2) for Stu and I to never have cooked 10 gallons of something before.  Here are some pics from the day for you to enjoy!
Stu was the only one tall enough to hang the decorations, which wound up blowing away in the wind.

Men at work


I may not technically be a member of the YR's, but I still thought this sign was hilarious.  At the bottom it said, "This low-carb sign was brought to you by ..."


This is what 10 gallons of chili looks like!  Our recipe had the secret ingredients of dark chocolate and Southern Pecan beer.

The Cookin' Conservatives: Josh, Tom, Stu and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment