I must say that I have always loved grocery shopping. Even when I was younger I used to go to Food World with my mom on Friday nights (maybe that's why I wasn't cool in high school??) to get groceries for the week. Maybe it's because I know that if I combine the right things into my cart then I can create something delicious later!
I've spent my dollars at quite a few grocery establishments in my day. I spent my parents' money at Food World in high school, then moved on to the exciting world of Kroger in college. There were a few dark days at Super WalMart when my semester funds ran low in college. I try to put those mealy apples and bruised bananas at the back of my mind. When medical school started I felt kind of fancy pants for a while and shopped at Fresh Market, until I realized that would quickly put me in even greater debt than I was already in. And most recently when God lead me to Stuart in Daphne, he also lead me to PUBLIX.
Before we were married, I used to drive 30 minutes across the bay, just so that I could get my groceries at Publix. Here's why:
1. BOGO. If I am clever and shop their buy one get one sales to stock our pantry, and also supplement that with coupons, I can get away cheaper than if I had gone to that dark place from my college days (walmart). For instance, yesterday I got Smart Balance organic milk for ... 50 cents!
2. They have commercials that make me cry. Like this one, and this one.
3. The employees there are like the nicest people I have ever met. They come up to you if you look confused and ask what they can help you with. The other day I couldn't find fennel for a soup I'm making next week, and I was escorted to the fennel section by two gentlemen who then told me great ways to use it in recipes! Once Stuart and I were checking out pineapples and someone came up, helped us pick the best one, and then asked if he could core it for us for free! I may have squealed when I said "yes, please!" Then when time comes to check out, they will unload your car for you and take your groceries out to the car - no tips accepted!
4. PRODUCE! MANGOS! POMEGRANATES! TOMATILLOS! OH MY!
I could go on and on, but I doubt you share the same love for groceries as I do. Anyway, the whole purpose of this blog today is to tell you that they just opened up a Publix that is 1.2 miles from our front door! Yes, we measured! We went there yesterday to purchase ingredients to make pimiento cheese for our small group Christmas party. Stuart can attest to the fact that I had been counting down the days until it opened. I considered wearing formal attire, but decided not to.
Once we arrived and walked up to the front door, what did we find but a Boar's Head HOT DOG CART! If there's anything I love more than Publix, it might just be hot dogs (and Stuart, of course). Alas we were in a hurry and didn't stop for the $1 hot dog and soda delight. We walked inside to grab a basket and were immediately greeted by a lady with fresh slices of Clementines. We grabbed one while she educated us on the delicious mini-fruit. Then on to the cheese section where we passed the tiny end-of-the-aisle kitchen where two ladies were cooking a sample dinner for which all ingredients were on sale.
Eventually we grabbed all the ingredients for our pimiento chese and got out of there quickly; otherwise I would have wound up talking to all the employees and touring the new store... But I'll be back next week!
No comments:
Post a Comment