Friday, December 3, 2010

Give Thanks!


Stuart and I decided to take the plunge and enjoy our first Thanksgiving together by hosting the families at our place for a weekend-long extravaganza!  It all began on Thanksgiving day when my parents drove in from Gadsden, and Stuarts fam drove in from Brookhaven/Memphis.  We all met up in Moss Point, MS at Taris and Corey's (Stuart's cousin's) house and enjoyed our first Thanksgiving meal!  Some of Corey's extended family are from Louisiana/the Bayou, and they make a mighty fine jalapeno infused fried turkey and spicy sweet potatoes!

Friday of course was arguably one of the most important days of the weekend ... The Iron Bowl.  If you watched it you know it was quite the entertainment event (War Eagle).  I think mom and I frightened Stuart's grandmother and baby neice by hootin' and hollerin' so much!  Dad isnt into football as much as mom and I are, so during the game he and Stuart decided to be a bit more productive and make a hammock stand for the hammock I bought in Panama many moons ago.  They did such a good job and now my hammock has a place to rest other than our bedroom floor!  Too bad it's cold now and we can't use it!

Saturday was the day that we hosted the family at our house.  Stuart and I got up at 6am to prepare our 22 pound turkey for the feast!  Stuart was a great sport and did the yucky stuff, like pull out the turkey neck and rub the gooey butter rub on the XL fowl.  We follwed the recipe for Paula Deen's Maple Cranberry glazed turkey, and let me tell you friends, it was delish!  The day before I had prepared my cornbread dressing and homemade cranberry sauce, and then everyone else brought delicious sides!  

After the turkey went in the oven for the start of its 6 hour roast, Stuart and I went to pick out our first Christmas Tree!  We went to Home Depot (cheaper than a farm we found ...) and wound up with an 8 foot fir tree that is gorgeous!  Then all the fam showed up at noon and we chowed down yet again!  Later that night was the Egg Bowl (MSU vs Ole Miss) which State won!  Another exciting day of football and feasting!

Sunday both our parents and Sally went to church with us, and then we headed out for a walk on the Bay to take a few family pictures!  Stuart and I are deciding if we want to send out Christmas cards, so maybe you will see one of them in your mailbox soon!

Here are some pictures of the weekend!
Dad and Stuart working on the hammock stand for our porch

Stuart testing out the hammock.  He may need to work a little on his technique =)

My wonderful husband, yanking a turkey neck out of a small opening
 

Carving up the roast beast!  That's Vera Anne over there coaching Stu

Some of the fam chilling in the living room waiting on the turkey to finish!

My parents and Stuart's two grandmas enjoying the grub

What do you do after Thanksgiving?  Pile in the car and go shopping, of course!

Sunday was family picture time!  Here are my parents walking down the pier behind our house.  Cute, I know!

Vera Kate!  Mine and Stuart's little niece!  She has convinced me that I actually like babies  =)

Family photo shoot

This was a difficult pose for several reasons, but I think it turned out ok =)

How many condos have a back yard like this?!

No comments:

Post a Comment