Stuart came in town this weekend and, as always, I had the
weekend planned down to the second.
Granted, we generally do variations on the same theme when he’s here in
Charlottesville: Farmers Market, followed by vineyard or hike, followed by
dinner with friends or a date.
From the moment we woke up Saturday I knew it would be the
perfect day. Granted, Stuart may have
thought differently given I made him get up at 7 to hit the farmers’ market. Everyone knows that’s when you have the
smallest crowds and the best produce, duh!
That morning the sun was shining without a cloud in the sky, but it wasn’t
hot or humid. We found a park downtown
and made our traditional pass by every stall, taking mental notes of who had
the cheapest English peas, or which bunch of asparagus looked the most
fresh. At least those were my
notes. Stuart’s job was to decide what
we would eat for breakfast. On the
second pass I picked up cabbage, peas, beets, asparagus, baby carrots,
strawberries, cherries and rhubarb.
Stuart decided he wanted an omelet for breakfast, so we visited Chef
Tony and had honestly the best omelet of my life… of course with a cup of
Shenandoah Joe on the side. We had
planned a hike after the market, so also decided to purchase a picnic lunch
which consisted of spinach whole wheat bread and a nice peppercorn sheep’s milk
cheese.
What else could make this morning more perfect you ask? How about driving to our hike just in time to
hear “Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me” on NPR!
We laughed the whole way to Skyline Drive before we lost service. But by then we wanted the radio off and the
windows down, and of course Winston was excited about that so he could hang his
head out the window. I had researched
this hike called “White Oak Canyon”, and though it looked a bit complicated I
found a loop that would take us through about 8 miles. We had done a similar distance with Winston a
few months ago so figured it would be okay.
The hike was moderate to strenuous per the map, with a steep descent the
first half and a pretty good ascent the second half. However, the views made up for the quivering
quadriceps. We basically followed a
stream the entire hike, and as our steps descended the stream made several
waterfalls. These were pretty impressive
falls by Virginia standards, and Winston benefited by being able to lap up a
drink in the pools.
Alas, the hike was marked by twists and turns, and after we
found our connector loop we realized we may have been getting a bit off
track. We started passing folks we had
already passed earlier in the hike (which I’m still not really sure how that
happened), and everyone kept telling us we still had a long way to go. With tiring legs and blisters starting to pop
up under my hiking boots, I said a silent prayer of thanks as we spotted the
parking lot! … Wait … that’s not the
parking lot. We had somehow hiked to a
parking lot several miles down the road!
We figured we could walk back on the road to our other lot, but with
Winston in tow that seemed a bit dangerous.
Instead we found another trail, which lead to another trail, which lead
to another trail, which crossed a swift moving stream, which lead to another
trail, which lead to our original parking lot.
Had my spirits not been briefly revived by walking up on a deer
literally 20 feet from me, I might have collapsed from exhaustion and likely
rhabdomyolysis (look it up). By the time
we got to the car I had low back pain and left hip pain (how old am I?!?), and
it took both of us several minutes to be able to reflect back on the day and
joke.
After we missed Supper Club due to being lost in the woods,
and were sitting at an Indian restaurant loading up on calories and trying to
not move our extremities too much, Stuart asked if I still thought it was the “perfect”
day. I decided it was – because there’s
really no one else I’d rather get lost in the woods with!
| Deceptively easy part of the hike |
| Thirsty boy! |
| Turns out if you prop your camera on a rock, that's almost as good as a tripod! |
| Nice Viewpoint |
| Winston blazing a trail across the water |
| Rock-Tripod |
Needless to say we both took several hundred milligrams of
Ibuprofen, and even today I still could barely walk. I decided to try a run today which was
painful – but sore muscles are a good kind of painful I guess!
And just so you know, the cabbage wound up going along-side
some beer-poached and seared bratwurst which was frozen from last month’s pork
share. The peas got shelled and complemented a nice faro risotto (turns out you
can make risotto with things more healthy than rice), and I de-pitted the
cherries and tried my hand at home made cherry hand-pies! Next weekend I’ll get more market goodies,
and probably do much less walking.
Here's my most adventurous pictures from the last stream crossing. Poor Winston!
No comments:
Post a Comment