Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Honors Convocation and Graduation

Last Friday was Honors Convocation ... the event that kicked off graduation weekend!  This is a really special time where my classmates and I received our doctoral hoods.  The hood is a part of the academic graduation regalia that signifies a student has done the required coursework to earn a doctoral level degree.  The outside of the hood is the color of the degree (green for medicine) and the inside of the hood stands for your institution (red, white and blue for South).Aside from that, Honors Convocation is a time for students to honor their favorite faculty, as well as for faculty to honor certain students.  We also hear a few words from a faculty and student speaker, and last but definitely not least, take the Hippocratic Oath!

With all the craziness going on around the Saulters' soon-to-be-vacant household, I had let this special weekend sneak up on me a bit.  It was a little surreal when I put on my cap and gown and marched down the aisle with my classmates to Pomp and Circumstance.

Who doesn't love wearing green velvet?!   

Teeny, but this is me presenting an award to our Dean of Student Affairs, Dr O'Brien

After the speakers and presentation of awards, it was time for the hooding!  Each of us walked across stage with a family member, friend, or faculty member who was to hood us.  I chose having Dad to place my hood.  The "hooder" stands behind the "hooded" student and drapes this crazy long velvet thing over your neck.  It weighs about 5 pounds and you feel like you're being choked the rest of the night!  But it really is a special moment.  I got a bit teary right before we did it.

Getting hooding instructions






After the ceremony was over, we got a chance to mix and mingle with a few people.  Unfortunately I didn't get a lot of pictures, and a lot of the faculty I wanted to chat with weren't able to come!  But here are a few ...
Me and Stu ... one of the reasons I stayed sane through medical school!  I'm clutching our med school coozy present, as well as a few honors I was blessed to receive.

Me with Dr Pettyjohn: Emergency physician and veteran (when age 74!) extraordinaire!  A great servant to patients and to our country.

Dr Hundley wasn't looking at the camera ... but he's been my advisor/mentor the past couple of years.

The next day was our official graduation.  Unfortunately, we were graduating with the entire campus of South Alabama, so it took ... a while.  We may or may not have snuck in phones, iPads, books, etc and occupied ourselves while the emcee rattled off about a thousand names and Jo Bonner delivered a speech (sorry Jo, but it was kind of boring).  The MD candidates walked across the stage second to last.  FINALLY we got our diplomas, and the president of South shook our hands and called us doctors!

Allison, Priyal, Liz, me, Riah and Shannon.  Going to miss these girls so much!

Me and Cody - great Christian guy - he's going to Vandy!


Me and Jay ... he correctly predicted that Stuart and I would marry after about 2 weeks of dating  =)

It was a long ceremony ... carb loading was needed

Me and Hope showing off the hoods!  She got engaged AND became a doctor in the same day!  Pretty exciting stuff!

My two favorite med school boys: Smitty and Brian

And to bring it full circle, the group from Gross Anatomy lab that I started the first day of school with: Sarah Beth, Henry and Antwan. 

I'll leave you with the words to the Hippocratic Oath.  It's the same oath spoken by physicians for hundreds of years, very slightly adapted from the original version.  Please note that it actually does NOT say, "First, do no harm"!

I swear by Apollo the physician, Aesculapius, and Health, and All-heal, and all the gods and goddesses, that, according to my ability and judgement, I will keep this Oath and this stipulation.


To reckon him who taught me this Art equally dear to me as my parents, to share my substance with him, and relieve his necessities if required; to look up his offspring in the same footing as my own brothers, and to teach them this art, if they shall wish to learn it, without fee or stipulation; and that by precept, lecture, and every other mode of instruction, I will impart a knowledge of the Art to my own sons, and those of my teachers, and to disciples bound by a stipulation and oath according to the law of medicine, but to none others.


I will follow that system of regimen which, according to my ability and judgement, I consider for the benefit of my patients, and abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous.  I will give no deadly medicine to any one if asked, nor suggest any such counsel.


With purity and with holiness I will pass my life and practice my Art.  I will not cut persons laboring under the stone, but will leave this to be done by men who are practitioners of this work.  Into whatever houses I enter, I will go into them for the benefit of the sick, and will abstain from every voluntary act of mischief and corruption; an, further from the seduction of females or males.


Whatever, in connection with my professional practice or not, in connection with it, I see or hear, in the life of men, which ought not to be spoken of abroad, I will not divulge, as reckoning that all such should be kept secret.


While I continue to keep this Oath, unviolated, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and the practice of the Art, respected by all men, in all times!  But should I trespass and violate this Oath, may the reverse be my lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment