Make a streusel!
From the afore-blogged baby shower, I had a ton of fruit leftover. Berries and plums which were soaked in a brown sugar and lime juice. There was so much leftover that I didn't think we could eat it without going bad, but I also didn't think it would freeze too well. I suddenly remembered I had a pie crust in the freezer ...
A berry pie with crumbly streusel topping came to mind!
So basically these are super easy.
1. Put a pie crust in a dish. I used a tart pan for prettiness.
2. Dump in fruit. I think it's always good to let the fruit sit in some sugar and citrus juice for a while. The sugar draws out the juices and sweetens, obviously. The citrus just kind of brightens the flavors and keeps any brownness from occuring. You can add sugar to your personal taste. I think I added about 2/3 cups, but probably could have used a bit more. I also mixed in a bit of cornstarch just to thicken it up a bit.
3. In another bowl, mix a stick of butter, about 1 cup of old fashioned rolled oats, 1/2 cup flour, and 1/2 cup sugar. Throw in a pinch of salt for good measure. Then the fun - mix it up with your hands and crumble it on top. In hindsight, a bit of nutmeg might have been delish mixed in with the crust.
4. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes, or until the fruit is bubbly and the crumbled top is brown.
| Whoa. |
5. Top with ice cream, or homemade whipped cream (I had the latter on hand)
No comments:
Post a Comment