Thursday, November 11, 2010

I'm narrowing down my life's calling

I may not know much about which specialty I will choose, but I can tell you this much: it's NOT surgery.  I surprised myself and found that I actually like the OR.  I can stomach blood, guts, and sticking my hands wrist deep into body cavities.  I cant stomach the profession as a whole.  The reasons are multiple; I will state only a few here.

1. I am not as cute as I can be.  Waking up at 4:00am does not lend itself to makeup application or hair-fixing.  I have learned that the best option is taking a night-time shower and usually falling asleep while my hair is still wet.  The next morning I throw up a pony tail and bobby-pin my bangs that I paid so much money for at Aveda and now have to hide.  Add to the mix a thunderstorm-gray scrub suit and a pair of Dansko clogs, and you might not even recognize me.




As an aside, Dansko clogs are the most comfortable shoe my feet have ever met.  They let me be on my feet on concrete floors for 12+ hours a day and not want to cry from pain when I get home.  Unfortunately, they are ugly as sin.  Mine are a nice brown leather rather than the patent leather you see above.  On the plus side Stuart always knows when I get home because he can hear me clumping up the stairs outside.  And he, being the more fashionable one in our marriage, makes me remove them and hide them in the closet as soon as I get home  =)

2. I cannot do normal person/wife activities such as cooking and cleaning.  But I am pretty excited that we came up with the genius idea to cook all our meals for the week on Sunday afternoon.  Weekends are good because we can sleep in, so with some extra energy last Sunday we went to Publix after church and then came on home and cooked away!  We made a delish Chili Verde with honey cornbread muffins, and then a sundried tomato pesto for pasta and some rosemary grilled chicken!  It was weird to cook all that and not eat it, but it has definitely paid off this week so that we can just warm stuff up!

3. I am officially lame.  Bedtime is about 8:30. 

4. Surgeons are ... how can I put this gently ... weird.  I think there are basically two types:  
  • The mean type - this is the type who expects you to know things like "who was the father of heart surgery" or "who was the first surgeon to use cocaine intraoperatively".  Sometimes they may also make patients, or medical students, cry.  When patients are about to undergo life-changing and hopefully life-saving operations, they say things like, "You got a bad heart.  You need an operation.  You could die, but probably not.  Got any questions?"
  • The crazy genius typeOne of my surgeons, if you met on the street, you would definitely think he was homeless.  He looks disheveled at all times and wears a red beret.  He prays to God in Latin, and curses his medical students in English.  He can conversate on any topic you bring up, yet did not understand, after multiple explanations, that Gene Chizik was the coach at Auburn.
I suppose those are enough reasons.  And while I (nor Stuart) am not particularly enjoying this rotation, it is nice to be able to narrow down my future list of specialties!   Next week I start trauma surgery, so perhaps I will have some interesting stories to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment